The articles below are practice management and finance topics as featured on the Veterinary Business Briefing website, and were donated to Vetstart by senior consultant Dr. John Sheridan. Register now to VBB and enjoy the full member benefits enjoying a nice Vetstart discount by clicking this link.
55. Do You Need a Sabbatical?
by Dennis M. McCurnin DVM. Art 55. Do You Need a Sabbatical?
54. Awakening to Greatness: 7 Traits of Greatness for Creating an Extraordinary Business Future
53. Are You Marketing to the Right Clients at the Right Time in the Right Way?
52. Five Strategies For Making Reminders Work Harder
by Karyn Gavzer Art 52. Five Strategies For Making Reminders Work Harder
51. Your Clients May Say Yes – But
by John Sheridan Art 51. Your Clients May Say Yes – But
50. Why I Can’t Remember Your Name
by Scott Ginsberg Art 50. Why I Can’t Remember Your Name
49. Moving Your Practice Forward
by Mark Moan Art 49. Moving Your Practice Forward
48. Productivity Pitfalls: Is Time Really Money?
by Lauren O’Leary RVT CVPM. Art 48. Productivity Pitfalls: Is Time Really Money?
47. How to Create an Effective Client Newsletter
by Simon Payn. Art. 47 How to Create an Effective Client Newsletter
46. Everything Counts in First Impressions
by Bill Lampton. Art. 46 Everything Counts in First Impressions
45. Becoming a Practice Leader
by Dennis M. McCurnin DVM. Art 45. Becoming a Practice Leader
44. The Building Blocks to Successful Marketing
by Julie Chance. Art 44. The Building Blocks to Successful Marketing
43. The Stock Control Struggle
by Phil Scanlon. Art 43. The Stock Control Struggle
42. Keeping Customers When Things Go Wrong
by Jeff Mowatt. Art 42. Keeping Customers When Things Go Wrong
41. The 100 Dos of Leadership
by Eric Garner. Art 41. The 100 Dos of Leadership
40. These five fatal errors will KILL your marketing efforts
by Ben Massey. Art 40. These five fatal errors will KILL your marketing efforts
39. Stop giving away your profits
by Phil Scanlan. Art 39. Stop Giving Away Your Profit
38. ‘Yes I mind waiting’, reducing customer wait timesby Jeff Mowatt.
by Jeff Mowatt. Art 38 – Yes I mind waiting!
37. What do your staff say about your practice?
by Gerald Snyder VMD. Art 37 – Is your staff a missionary for the practice
36. Focus on your A-clients in a sluggish economy
by Gerald Snyder DVM. Art 36 – Focus on your A clients
35. Financial indicators of practice activity
by Philippe Moreau DVM MS DECVIM-CA, DECVN. Art 35 – Financial Indicators of Practice Activity
34. Seven steps to exceptional customer service
by Adrian Miller. Art 34 – Seven Steps to Exceptional Customer Service
33. Creating regular newsletters and client loyalty
32. Customer aftercare
by Ernest W. Nicastro. Art 32. The Marshall Plan – or Customer Aftercare
31. A Business Tail: Case study of self employment
by Caroline Jordan, MBA. Art 31 – A Business Tail
30. How SARAH helps you achieve your goals
by Jim Symcox. Art 30. How Sarah Helps You Achieve Your Goals
29. Finance for the non-financial manager
by Jo Watling, VN. Art 29 – Finance for the Non Financial Manager.
28. Guidelines for managing your peopleby Dan Jacobs. Art 28 Guidelines for Managing your People – Dan Jacobs
27. Management development for professionals
by Fiona Stuart Wilson, UMD Professional LTD. PDF file 24.3 KB.
26. Documents can’t create a practice culture
by Dr. Christopher Allan DVM. MD. PDF file 54 KB.
25. Practice Profiling
by Jane Terry. PDF file 95.7 KB.
This article is about getting to know your clients, and how to attract and retain them.
24. A major blind spot of Health Care Professionals
by W. Bradford Swift. PDF file 10 KB.
The importance of carving out the time to work on your business. To sharpen the saw, and the consequences of when you do and when you don’t.
23. Practice in the real world.
By Dr. David Lane. PDF file (17KB).
The article is written from the US perspective, and has vaulable information for all international Vetstart members. Many will more or less recognize the way the author describes the experience when calling a company. The translation to the veterinary practice is interesting reading. Thanks to VBB for supplying this text.
22. It is the sizzle, not the steak
By Dr. Madan Khare. PDF file (26 KB)
Learn more about making a quality cost estimate for your clients.
21. Keeping an eye on the competition
By Dr. John Sheridan. PDF file (21.6KB)
20. Work Life Balance
Based on personal experience. By Sue Shuttleworth PDF file (30KB).
19. Sex and Money
by Dr. Carin Smith PDF file (19 KB) / by Dr. John Sheridan
Learn more about gender and income trends in veterinary practice.
18. The Veterinary Support Personel Network
by Dr. John Sheridan. PDF file (27KB).
The purpose of the article is to help readers (including vet students) to be aware of the management issues discussed by employees in vet practice and that important organisations like VSPN exist to look after their professional interests.
17. Capture points and benchmarking
by Dr. John Sheridan. PDF file (10KB)
16. Selling ice to the Eskimo
by Dr. John Sheridan. PDF file (102KB)
15. Your customers are cranky
by Dr. John Sheridan. PDF file (14KB)
14. What makes a good manager?
By Dr. John Sheridan. PDF file (16KB)
13. Men’s best friend 2. Legal implications of the human animal bond.
By Dr. John Sheridan. PDF file (23 KB).
12. Men’s best friend 1. Legal implications of the human animal bond.
By John Sheridan. PDF file (21KB).
11. Differing needs of practice team mates
By John Sheridan. PDF file (38 KB).
10. Consultation technique in general veterinary practice
By John Sheridan. PDF file (33 KB).
09. Demographic data for your marketing plan
By John Sheridan. PDF file (30 KB).
08. How profitable is your pharmacy?
By consultant John Sheridan. PDF file (31.6 KB)
07. Benchmarking for the veterinary profession
Description: article by John Sheridan on international sources of benchmarking
PDF article (27KB)
06. Dealing with difficult clients
Description: Extracts from an article by Mark Cantrell published in Veterinary Practice News.
PDF article (25KB)
05. Adding value and keeping the score (part 2)
Description: Summary of the second half of John Sheridans’ presentation to the annual congress of the Veterinary Practice Management Association (Feb 2005)
PDF article (70KB)
04. Adding value and keeping the score (part 1)
Description: Summary of the first half of John Sheridans’ presentation to the annual congress of the Veterinary Practice Management Association (Feb 2005)
PDF article (38 KB)
03. Should I accept a partnership offer?
Description: An article by Fergus Coutts
PDF article (34KB)
02. Major crossroads in your career in veterinary practice
Description: An article by John Sheridan
PDF article (49KB)
01. Why do vets earn less than other professionals?
You can find all these articles (and more) ready for your reading and down load (for personal usage) if you wish, in the Vetstart library.